Thursday, September 11, 2008

Inspired

I HAVE BEEN READING AND KEEPING UP TO DATE ON THE BLOG FOR STEPHANIE AND CHRISTIAN NIELSON. THE LINKS TO THEIR BLOG IS TO THE RIGHT OF THIS POSTING. ANYWAY, THEIR STORY IS ROMANTIC, INSPIRING AND TRAGIC. I FOUND A QUOTE IN ONE OF HER POSTINGS THAT REALLY HIT ME, AND IF YOU LOOK AT HER BLOG, YOU WILL SEE THAT SHE FOLLOWS THIS QUOTE TO THE "T"! BECAUSE OF HER, NIE NIE (THAT IS WHAT SHE GOES BY ON HER BLOG) I WANT TO BE A BETTER MOTHER, AND WIFE, SHE LIVES LIFE TO THE FULLEST!
THE QUOTE WAS THIS:
"The biggest mistake I made (as a parent) is the one that most of us make....I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone,captured only in photographs. There is one picture of (my three children) sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing; dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less" (Loud and Clear 2004 10-11)

I AM GOING TO DO THIS!!! AND NOW I HAVE IT IN WRITING, OR AT LEAST IN CYBER-SPACE, AS A REMINDER.

2 comments:

Kodi Mortensen said...

Let a doctor tell you that you have cancer and it will help as much as this quote!! My kids haven't caught on that I am trying to be better though! They are prepared for me to get mad or yell and I turn it into a conversation instead and then they get mad because I didn't get mad about it! You just can't win!! They think I am making fun of it or don't care. I guess I should start getting mad about it more. But surely things ahve changed around our house but maybe it's all in my head!!

Connie said...

I think the comment under your header was directed at me. But in an effort to be a "better mom" I have completely given up housework. Oh the sacrifices we make for our kids.... :)

Preesley is 1!